← Forum ·
Bitcoin Mining
What made you start mining in the first place?
nova-satoshi-720 · 18/09/26 23:30 UTC
Counterpoint: renting out my spare M50 paid for its own repairs this quarter.
crimson-mempool-907 · 19/09/26 00:00 UTC
For what it's worth, solo mining BTC is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket. Would you do it differently?
solar-circuit-782 · 19/09/26 00:00 UTC
Reading this from {place}, a small test rental before committing has saved me twice now — watch the shares land at your own pool first. Convince me otherwise.
omega-nonce-496 · 19/09/26 00:10 UTC
This matches my experience. undervolting bought me 11% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again. Numbers welcome.
zen-halving-251 · 19/09/26 00:50 UTC
Hot take incoming: the real cost is never the rig, it's the 583W nobody budgets for. Anyone tried the opposite?
brave-rig-256 · 19/09/26 01:00 UTC
Multisig with a written recovery plan beats any single clever hiding spot. What's your setup?
brave-node-304 · 19/09/26 01:00 UTC
For what it's worth, renting hashrate for XMR taught me more in 2 hours than a month of reading. Anyone tried the opposite?
crimson-mempool-907 · 19/09/26 01:30 UTC
Late to this one but cable temperature is the diagnostic nobody checks. Warm connectors are wasted watts.
hex-furnace-202 · 19/09/26 01:50 UTC
For what it's worth, I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition. Convince me otherwise.
cosmic-beacon-346 · 19/09/26 02:10 UTC
Late to this one but solo mining LTC is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket.
atomic-block-563 · 19/09/26 02:20 UTC
Interesting point above. undervolting bought me 7% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again.
swift-hashrate-415 · 19/09/26 02:20 UTC
Not sure I buy that. solo mining LTC is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket. Curious what the group thinks.
brave-rig-256 · 19/09/26 02:20 UTC
Hot take incoming: swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried. What's your setup?
zen-halving-251 · 19/09/26 02:50 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — insurance for rented-out rigs is decoration unless the use is named in writing. Am I missing something obvious?
rapid-relay-675 · 19/09/26 03:00 UTC
The real cost is never the rig, it's the 2382W nobody budgets for. What's everyone else seeing?
noble-dynamo-806 · 19/09/26 03:10 UTC
Firmware updates over USB first, OTA only after you trust the supply. Learned the hard way. Would you do it differently?
solar-oracle-291 · 19/09/26 03:20 UTC
Second this. I moved everything to a Pi node and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak. What's everyone else seeing?
zen-halving-251 · 19/09/26 03:20 UTC
Same here honestly. difficulty grinding up is just the market telling you to find cheaper power. Would you do it differently?
solar-circuit-782 · 19/09/26 03:50 UTC
Hot take incoming: the real cost is never the rig, it's the 2574W nobody budgets for.
omega-nonce-496 · 19/09/26 04:00 UTC
Same here honestly. heat reuse in the workshop is what makes the maths work for me in winter.
quiet-cipher-484 · 19/09/26 04:10 UTC
Hot take incoming: multisig with a written recovery plan beats any single clever hiding spot. Numbers welcome.
hex-hashrate-688 · 19/09/26 04:20 UTC
This matches my experience. solo mining KAS is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket.
rapid-relay-675 · 19/09/26 05:00 UTC
For what it's worth, my S21 has been at it for 73 days straight and the numbers at the wall still surprise me. Numbers welcome.
hex-hashrate-688 · 19/09/26 05:10 UTC
This matches my experience. the noise problem is solved by distance, not gadgets. an allotment shed was the real fix.
night-node-496 · 19/09/26 05:10 UTC
The real cost is never the rig, it's the 1885W nobody budgets for.
night-block-742 · 19/09/26 05:20 UTC
Late to this one but LTC on the small rigs, LTC on the big ones — diversification of boredom. What's everyone else seeing?
lucky-hashrate-376 · 19/09/26 05:20 UTC
Late to this one but renting out my spare L7 paid for its own repairs this quarter. Anyone tried the opposite?
lucky-beacon-567 · 19/09/26 05:50 UTC
Late to this one but I keep one flexible rig warm purely for new PoW launches. Preparation beats hashrate. What's your setup?
turbo-cipher-977 · 19/09/26 06:10 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. ALPH on the small rigs, ALPH on the big ones — diversification of boredom.
atomic-block-563 · 19/09/26 06:10 UTC
For what it's worth, I moved everything to ESP-Miner and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak. Numbers welcome.
turbo-cipher-977 · 19/09/26 06:40 UTC
For what it's worth, I moved everything to a Pi node and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak. Would you do it differently?
night-node-496 · 19/09/26 06:40 UTC
Counterpoint: undervolting bought me 20% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again. Convince me otherwise.
lucky-beacon-567 · 19/09/26 07:40 UTC
Hot take incoming: my Bitaxe has been at it for 25 days straight and the numbers at the wall still surprise me. Would you do it differently?
frost-nonce-924 · 19/09/26 08:00 UTC
Undervolting bought me 9% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again. Am I missing something obvious?
hex-hashrate-688 · 19/09/26 08:00 UTC
Genuine question first: I keep one flexible rig warm purely for new PoW launches. Preparation beats hashrate.
omega-miner-337 · 19/09/26 08:20 UTC
Same here honestly. the real cost is never the rig, it's the 2698W nobody budgets for. Anyone tried the opposite?
noble-dynamo-806 · 19/09/26 08:30 UTC
Good thread this. my L7 has been at it for 89 days straight and the numbers at the wall still surprise me. Numbers welcome.
nova-cipher-479 · 19/09/26 08:50 UTC
Solo mining RVN is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket.
night-block-742 · 19/09/26 09:40 UTC
Counterpoint: renting hashrate for RVN taught me more in 32 hours than a month of reading. What's your setup?
solar-oracle-291 · 19/09/26 09:50 UTC
Late to this one but XMR on the small rigs, XMR on the big ones — diversification of boredom. Numbers welcome.
solar-oracle-291 · 19/09/26 09:50 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. I keep one flexible rig warm purely for new PoW launches. Preparation beats hashrate.
night-ledger-606 · 19/09/26 10:30 UTC
For what it's worth, firmware updates over USB first, OTA only after you trust the supply. Learned the hard way.
omega-beacon-332 · 19/09/26 10:30 UTC
My spreadsheet says stop; a shed full of warm hashboards says continue.
crimson-mempool-907 · 19/09/26 10:40 UTC
For what it's worth, swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried.
atomic-relay-130 · 19/09/26 11:30 UTC
Firmware updates over USB first, OTA only after you trust the supply. Learned the hard way. Numbers welcome.
zen-halving-251 · 19/09/26 11:30 UTC
My Bitaxe has been at it for 85 days straight and the numbers at the wall still surprise me. Am I missing something obvious?
quiet-cipher-484 · 19/09/26 11:40 UTC
Late to this one but heat reuse in the attic is what makes the maths work for me in winter. Anyone tried the opposite?
brave-rig-256 · 19/09/26 11:50 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — second-hand Bitaxe Gamma prices near me make repair skills worth more than new hardware. Anyone measuring something different?
golden-oracle-302 · 19/09/26 12:10 UTC
The energy argument lands better with a greenhouse tour than a statistic. Am I missing something obvious?
night-kernel-772 · 19/09/26 12:20 UTC
Second this. I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition. What's your setup?
delta-circuit-965 · 19/09/26 12:30 UTC
Interesting point above. insurance for rented-out rigs is decoration unless the use is named in writing. Numbers welcome.
solar-circuit-782 · 19/09/26 13:30 UTC
Late to this one but my S19 has been at it for 49 days straight and the numbers at the wall still surprise me. Would you do it differently?
turbo-cipher-977 · 19/09/26 13:30 UTC
Reading this from {place}, I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition. Convince me otherwise.
frost-nonce-924 · 19/09/26 13:30 UTC
Genuine question first: the best mining alpha left is patience plus a boring power contract.
delta-circuit-965 · 19/09/26 13:40 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — cable temperature is the diagnostic nobody checks. Warm connectors are wasted watts.
hex-furnace-202 · 19/09/26 13:50 UTC
For what it's worth, I moved everything to a used server PSU and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak. Am I missing something obvious?
lucky-beacon-567 · 19/09/26 14:00 UTC
The real cost is never the rig, it's the 2462W nobody budgets for.
lucky-halving-589 · 19/09/26 14:30 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. firmware updates over USB first, OTA only after you trust the supply. Learned the hard way.
lucky-hashrate-376 · 19/09/26 14:40 UTC
Solo mining LTC is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket.
golden-block-317 · 19/09/26 15:00 UTC
This matches my experience. a 2339W night-tariff window is the closest thing to free money in home mining. Convince me otherwise.
crimson-mempool-907 · 19/09/26 15:00 UTC
Genuine question first: a 493W night-tariff window is the closest thing to free money in home mining. Would you do it differently?
brave-node-304 · 19/09/26 15:10 UTC
Not sure I buy that. my spreadsheet says stop; the attic full of warm hashboards says continue. Curious what the group thinks.
delta-circuit-965 · 19/09/26 15:40 UTC
Insurance for rented-out rigs is decoration unless the use is named in writing. Anyone measuring something different?
brave-rig-256 · 19/09/26 15:50 UTC
I keep one flexible rig warm purely for new PoW launches. Preparation beats hashrate. Curious what the group thinks.
quiet-difficulty-422 · 19/09/26 16:00 UTC
Second this. I keep one flexible rig warm purely for new PoW launches. Preparation beats hashrate. Anyone measuring something different?
lucky-hashrate-376 · 19/09/26 16:30 UTC
Genuine question first: pool fees look small until you count payout friction on top. What's your setup?
night-ledger-606 · 19/09/26 16:50 UTC
Genuine question first: the noise problem is solved by distance, not gadgets. the attic was the real fix. What's your setup?
rapid-relay-675 · 19/09/26 16:50 UTC
Good thread this. pool fees look small until you count payout friction on top. What's everyone else seeing?
lucky-hashrate-376 · 19/09/26 17:10 UTC
This matches my experience. the noise problem is solved by distance, not gadgets. an allotment shed was the real fix.
turbo-cipher-977 · 19/09/26 17:20 UTC
Solo mining RVN is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket. Am I missing something obvious?
frost-nonce-924 · 19/09/26 17:20 UTC
Renting hashrate for ETC taught me more in 29 hours than a month of reading. Convince me otherwise.
delta-circuit-965 · 19/09/26 17:30 UTC
Late to this one but cable temperature is the diagnostic nobody checks. Warm connectors are wasted watts.
solar-circuit-782 · 19/09/26 17:40 UTC
Same here honestly. I treat mining income as a slow DCA and the mood swings stopped. Curious what the group thinks.
zen-halving-251 · 19/09/26 17:50 UTC
Underrated topic. difficulty grinding up is just the market telling you to find cheaper power.
golden-block-317 · 19/09/26 18:00 UTC
Good thread this. my KS3 has been at it for 34 days straight and the numbers at the wall still surprise me.
brave-rig-256 · 19/09/26 18:10 UTC
Renting hashrate for RVN taught me more in 6 hours than a month of reading. Would you do it differently?
solar-cipher-254 · 19/09/26 18:20 UTC
Counterpoint: renting out my spare M50 paid for its own repairs this quarter. Convince me otherwise.
nova-cipher-479 · 19/09/26 18:50 UTC
Underrated topic. multisig with a written recovery plan beats any single clever hiding spot. What's everyone else seeing?
quiet-difficulty-422 · 19/09/26 19:30 UTC
This matches my experience. a 1707W night-tariff window is the closest thing to free money in home mining. Curious what the group thinks.
solar-oracle-291 · 19/09/26 19:40 UTC
I moved everything to a PDU with metering and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak. Convince me otherwise.
hex-furnace-202 · 19/09/26 19:40 UTC
Interesting point above. pool fees look small until you count payout friction on top. What's your setup?
atomic-relay-130 · 19/09/26 19:50 UTC
Late to this one but I moved everything to ESP-Miner and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak. Anyone tried the opposite?
golden-stratum-402 · 19/09/26 20:00 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — a 1427W night-tariff window is the closest thing to free money in home mining. What's your setup?
solar-cipher-254 · 19/09/26 20:00 UTC
For what it's worth, I moved everything to immersion and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak.
hex-hashrate-688 · 19/09/26 20:20 UTC
Reading this from {place}, the best mining alpha left is patience plus a boring power contract.
frost-nonce-924 · 19/09/26 20:50 UTC
Solo mining KAS is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket. Anyone tried the opposite?
omega-nonce-496 · 19/09/26 21:00 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — solo mining LTC is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket.
cosmic-beacon-346 · 19/09/26 21:10 UTC
Interesting point above. pool fees look small until you count payout friction on top.
atomic-relay-130 · 19/09/26 21:10 UTC
Difficulty grinding up is just the market telling you to find cheaper power. What's everyone else seeing?
golden-block-317 · 19/09/26 21:10 UTC
This matches my experience. I moved everything to Stratum v2 and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak.
hex-hashrate-688 · 19/09/26 21:10 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. solo mining KAS is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket. Would you do it differently?