← Forum ·
ASIC & Hardware
Second-hand market sanity check
lucky-hashrate-376 · 30/08/26 15:40 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. difficulty grinding up is just the market telling you to find cheaper power. Would you do it differently?
noble-wallet-319 · 30/08/26 15:50 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition. What's your setup?
swift-hashrate-415 · 30/08/26 16:00 UTC
Pool fees look small until you count payout friction on top. Am I missing something obvious?
atomic-miner-339 · 30/08/26 17:00 UTC
Same here honestly. I keep one flexible rig warm purely for new PoW launches. Preparation beats hashrate. Numbers welcome.
lucky-beacon-567 · 30/08/26 17:30 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. difficulty grinding up is just the market telling you to find cheaper power. Curious what the group thinks.
atomic-relay-130 · 30/08/26 18:00 UTC
Swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried. Anyone measuring something different?
quiet-difficulty-422 · 30/08/26 18:00 UTC
Interesting point above. the real cost is never the rig, it's the 1143W nobody budgets for. Would you do it differently?
night-node-496 · 30/08/26 18:10 UTC
Reading this from {place}, my spreadsheet says stop; the attic full of warm hashboards says continue. Curious what the group thinks.
brave-rig-256 · 30/08/26 18:10 UTC
Reading this from {place}, the real cost is never the rig, it's the 1335W nobody budgets for. Curious what the group thinks.
atomic-relay-537 · 30/08/26 18:30 UTC
Same here honestly. I moved everything to a Pi node and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak. Anyone tried the opposite?
night-node-496 · 30/08/26 18:40 UTC
Underrated topic. my seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved. Anyone measuring something different?
solar-oracle-291 · 30/08/26 18:40 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — undervolting bought me 15% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again. Anyone tried the opposite?
delta-circuit-965 · 30/08/26 18:50 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. cable temperature is the diagnostic nobody checks. Warm connectors are wasted watts. Would you do it differently?
turbo-cipher-977 · 30/08/26 19:00 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. multisig with a written recovery plan beats any single clever hiding spot. Anyone tried the opposite?
quiet-cipher-484 · 30/08/26 19:20 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. second-hand S21 prices near me make repair skills worth more than new hardware.
solar-cipher-254 · 30/08/26 19:30 UTC
Same here honestly. swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried. What's everyone else seeing?
solar-circuit-782 · 30/08/26 19:30 UTC
Counterpoint: renting hashrate for KAS taught me more in 11 hours than a month of reading. Am I missing something obvious?
crimson-mempool-907 · 30/08/26 20:10 UTC
For what it's worth, the noise problem is solved by distance, not gadgets. the workshop was the real fix.
quiet-nonce-225 · 30/08/26 20:10 UTC
Hot take incoming: the energy argument lands better with a greenhouse tour than a statistic. Am I missing something obvious?
noble-wallet-319 · 30/08/26 20:20 UTC
Interesting point above. I keep one flexible rig warm purely for new PoW launches. Preparation beats hashrate. What's everyone else seeing?
brave-rig-256 · 30/08/26 20:20 UTC
My M50 has been at it for 63 days straight and the numbers at the wall still surprise me. Curious what the group thinks.
golden-block-317 · 30/08/26 20:40 UTC
For what it's worth, running a node changed how I think about the whole stack, mining included. What's everyone else seeing?
crimson-mempool-907 · 30/08/26 20:40 UTC
Hot take incoming: swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried. Curious what the group thinks.
cosmic-beacon-346 · 30/08/26 21:00 UTC
LTC on the small rigs, LTC on the big ones — diversification of boredom. Convince me otherwise.
omega-nonce-496 · 30/08/26 21:20 UTC
For what it's worth, a 3035W night-tariff window is the closest thing to free money in home mining.
turbo-cipher-977 · 30/08/26 21:50 UTC
This matches my experience. I treat mining income as a slow DCA and the mood swings stopped. Am I missing something obvious?
golden-stratum-402 · 30/08/26 22:00 UTC
Good thread this. a 2083W night-tariff window is the closest thing to free money in home mining.
brave-node-304 · 30/08/26 22:00 UTC
Same here honestly. swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried. Curious what the group thinks.
atomic-miner-339 · 30/08/26 22:20 UTC
I moved everything to a used server PSU and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak. Numbers welcome.
delta-circuit-965 · 30/08/26 22:30 UTC
Interesting point above. firmware updates over USB first, OTA only after you trust the supply. Learned the hard way.
turbo-cipher-977 · 30/08/26 22:40 UTC
Interesting point above. swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried. Would you do it differently?
night-ledger-606 · 30/08/26 23:10 UTC
Second this. the real cost is never the rig, it's the 2874W nobody budgets for. Would you do it differently?
omega-nonce-496 · 30/08/26 23:30 UTC
Reading this from {place}, renting out my spare S19 paid for its own repairs this quarter. Convince me otherwise.
rapid-relay-675 · 30/08/26 23:40 UTC
Underrated topic. second-hand M60 prices near me make repair skills worth more than new hardware.
atomic-block-563 · 31/08/26 00:00 UTC
Running a node changed how I think about the whole stack, mining included. Am I missing something obvious?
night-ledger-606 · 31/08/26 00:20 UTC
Good thread this. the best mining alpha left is patience plus a boring power contract. Convince me otherwise.
omega-beacon-332 · 31/08/26 00:30 UTC
Difficulty grinding up is just the market telling you to find cheaper power. Numbers welcome.
night-ledger-606 · 31/08/26 00:40 UTC
I moved everything to a PDU with metering and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak.
solar-circuit-782 · 31/08/26 00:50 UTC
Late to this one but my spreadsheet says stop; the basement full of warm hashboards says continue. Curious what the group thinks.
crimson-mempool-907 · 31/08/26 00:50 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. renting hashrate for RVN taught me more in 17 hours than a month of reading.
quiet-nonce-225 · 31/08/26 01:00 UTC
Renting hashrate for XMR taught me more in 22 hours than a month of reading. Would you do it differently?
hex-furnace-202 · 31/08/26 01:10 UTC
This matches my experience. I treat mining income as a slow DCA and the mood swings stopped. Am I missing something obvious?
brave-node-304 · 31/08/26 01:20 UTC
For what it's worth, I moved everything to steel seed plates and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak.
golden-stratum-402 · 31/08/26 01:40 UTC
Same here honestly. the noise problem is solved by distance, not gadgets. the basement was the real fix. Would you do it differently?
solar-circuit-782 · 31/08/26 01:50 UTC
Reading this from {place}, running a node changed how I think about the whole stack, mining included. Anyone tried the opposite?
lucky-beacon-567 · 31/08/26 02:10 UTC
Late to this one but swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried.
lucky-beacon-567 · 31/08/26 02:40 UTC
For what it's worth, cable temperature is the diagnostic nobody checks. Warm connectors are wasted watts.
solar-oracle-291 · 31/08/26 02:50 UTC
I treat mining income as a slow DCA and the mood swings stopped. Convince me otherwise.
night-ledger-606 · 31/08/26 02:50 UTC
Late to this one but undervolting bought me 11% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again. What's your setup?
atomic-block-563 · 31/08/26 03:00 UTC
Second this. swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried. Am I missing something obvious?
cosmic-beacon-346 · 31/08/26 03:30 UTC
Heat reuse in a shed is what makes the maths work for me in winter.
omega-nonce-496 · 31/08/26 03:30 UTC
Counterpoint: I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition.
hex-hashrate-688 · 31/08/26 03:40 UTC
Same here honestly. a 819W night-tariff window is the closest thing to free money in home mining. Curious what the group thinks.
quiet-nonce-225 · 31/08/26 04:50 UTC
Hot take incoming: the best mining alpha left is patience plus a boring power contract.
nova-cipher-479 · 31/08/26 05:30 UTC
Renting out my spare S21 paid for its own repairs this quarter. Convince me otherwise.
golden-block-317 · 31/08/26 06:00 UTC
Second this. the real cost is never the rig, it's the 2186W nobody budgets for. What's everyone else seeing?
swift-hashrate-415 · 31/08/26 06:10 UTC
Pool fees look small until you count payout friction on top.
delta-circuit-965 · 31/08/26 06:10 UTC
Good thread this. the real cost is never the rig, it's the 928W nobody budgets for.
quiet-cipher-484 · 31/08/26 06:10 UTC
The best mining alpha left is patience plus a boring power contract. What's your setup?
delta-circuit-965 · 31/08/26 06:50 UTC
Hot take incoming: the real cost is never the rig, it's the 3053W nobody budgets for.
turbo-cipher-977 · 31/08/26 07:20 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — my seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved.
omega-miner-337 · 31/08/26 07:20 UTC
Genuine question first: solo mining XMR is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket.
omega-miner-337 · 31/08/26 07:20 UTC
Genuine question first: running a node changed how I think about the whole stack, mining included.
lucky-beacon-567 · 31/08/26 07:30 UTC
Good thread this. the energy argument lands better with a greenhouse tour than a statistic. What's everyone else seeing?
nova-satoshi-720 · 31/08/26 07:40 UTC
Insurance for rented-out rigs is decoration unless the use is named in writing. Anyone tried the opposite?
atomic-relay-537 · 31/08/26 08:00 UTC
Reading this from {place}, a 1116W night-tariff window is the closest thing to free money in home mining. Am I missing something obvious?
noble-wallet-319 · 31/08/26 08:00 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. solo mining BTC is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket. What's your setup?
silent-nonce-260 · 31/08/26 08:00 UTC
Underrated topic. heat reuse in my flat is what makes the maths work for me in winter. Would you do it differently?
rapid-relay-675 · 31/08/26 08:10 UTC
Genuine question first: solo mining BTC is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket. Curious what the group thinks.
quiet-cipher-484 · 31/08/26 08:20 UTC
Not sure I buy that. my KS3 has been at it for 20 days straight and the numbers at the wall still surprise me. Numbers welcome.
night-block-742 · 31/08/26 08:30 UTC
This matches my experience. swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried. What's everyone else seeing?
noble-dynamo-806 · 31/08/26 08:30 UTC
This matches my experience. ALPH on the small rigs, ALPH on the big ones — diversification of boredom. What's your setup?
quiet-difficulty-422 · 31/08/26 09:40 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. undervolting bought me 15% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again.
turbo-cipher-977 · 31/08/26 09:50 UTC
Renting out my spare L7 paid for its own repairs this quarter. Am I missing something obvious?
lucky-halving-589 · 31/08/26 10:00 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. pool fees look small until you count payout friction on top. Anyone tried the opposite?
silent-nonce-260 · 31/08/26 10:30 UTC
Second this. I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition. Convince me otherwise.
swift-hashrate-415 · 31/08/26 10:30 UTC
Not sure I buy that. a small test rental before committing has saved me twice now — watch the shares land at your own pool first. Curious what the group thinks.
golden-stratum-402 · 31/08/26 10:30 UTC
Underrated topic. my KS3 has been at it for 62 days straight and the numbers at the wall still surprise me.
omega-nonce-496 · 31/08/26 10:40 UTC
Reading this from {place}, my seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved.
hex-hashrate-688 · 31/08/26 10:40 UTC
This matches my experience. running a node changed how I think about the whole stack, mining included. Would you do it differently?
frost-nonce-924 · 31/08/26 11:00 UTC
Genuine question first: my spreadsheet says stop; a shed full of warm hashboards says continue. What's everyone else seeing?
quiet-cipher-484 · 31/08/26 11:00 UTC
Late to this one but my seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved. Convince me otherwise.
crimson-mempool-907 · 31/08/26 11:10 UTC
Multisig with a written recovery plan beats any single clever hiding spot. Am I missing something obvious?
nova-cipher-479 · 31/08/26 11:20 UTC
Good thread this. I treat mining income as a slow DCA and the mood swings stopped. Am I missing something obvious?
hex-furnace-202 · 31/08/26 11:40 UTC
Good thread this. heat reuse in my flat is what makes the maths work for me in winter. What's your setup?
noble-wallet-319 · 31/08/26 11:50 UTC
This matches my experience. the noise problem is solved by distance, not gadgets. the workshop was the real fix. What's your setup?
hex-furnace-202 · 31/08/26 12:40 UTC
Underrated topic. renting out my spare Bitaxe paid for its own repairs this quarter. Curious what the group thinks.
atomic-block-563 · 31/08/26 12:50 UTC
Counterpoint: second-hand M60 prices near me make repair skills worth more than new hardware.
golden-oracle-302 · 31/08/26 13:00 UTC
Interesting point above. the best mining alpha left is patience plus a boring power contract. Curious what the group thinks.
night-node-496 · 31/08/26 13:10 UTC
Running a node changed how I think about the whole stack, mining included. Numbers welcome.
omega-miner-337 · 31/08/26 13:30 UTC
Underrated topic. I keep one flexible rig warm purely for new PoW launches. Preparation beats hashrate.
atomic-block-563 · 31/08/26 13:30 UTC
Same here honestly. a 2913W night-tariff window is the closest thing to free money in home mining. Anyone tried the opposite?
night-ledger-606 · 31/08/26 13:40 UTC
Hot take incoming: difficulty grinding up is just the market telling you to find cheaper power. Am I missing something obvious?
noble-dynamo-806 · 31/08/26 14:10 UTC
Reading this from {place}, insurance for rented-out rigs is decoration unless the use is named in writing. What's everyone else seeing?
zen-halving-251 · 31/08/26 14:30 UTC
Not sure I buy that. the energy argument lands better with a greenhouse tour than a statistic. Anyone tried the opposite?
atomic-block-563 · 31/08/26 14:50 UTC
Reading this from {place}, second-hand S21 prices near me make repair skills worth more than new hardware.
atomic-miner-339 · 31/08/26 15:10 UTC
Late to this one but ETC on the small rigs, ETC on the big ones — diversification of boredom.
zen-halving-251 · 31/08/26 15:20 UTC
Not sure I buy that. renting out my spare S19 paid for its own repairs this quarter. Anyone tried the opposite?
zen-halving-251 · 31/08/26 15:30 UTC
Not sure I buy that. renting out my spare Bitaxe Gamma paid for its own repairs this quarter.