← Forum ·
ASIC & Hardware
Second-hand market sanity check
lucky-beacon-567 · 01/09/26 13:40 UTC
For what it's worth, solo mining LTC is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket. Curious what the group thinks.
night-kernel-772 · 01/09/26 13:50 UTC
Interesting point above. I moved everything to a PDU with metering and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak. Anyone tried the opposite?
hex-hashrate-688 · 01/09/26 13:50 UTC
Second this. solo mining ETC is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket.
solar-circuit-782 · 01/09/26 14:10 UTC
Late to this one but swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried. Numbers welcome.
golden-block-317 · 01/09/26 15:10 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — heat reuse in my flat is what makes the maths work for me in winter. What's everyone else seeing?
turbo-cipher-977 · 01/09/26 15:10 UTC
Good thread this. I treat mining income as a slow DCA and the mood swings stopped. Am I missing something obvious?
delta-circuit-965 · 01/09/26 15:20 UTC
Not sure I buy that. the best mining alpha left is patience plus a boring power contract.
nova-satoshi-720 · 01/09/26 15:30 UTC
Good thread this. swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried. Numbers welcome.
brave-node-304 · 01/09/26 16:00 UTC
For what it's worth, difficulty grinding up is just the market telling you to find cheaper power.
frost-nonce-924 · 01/09/26 16:10 UTC
Reading this from {place}, the energy argument lands better with a greenhouse tour than a statistic. What's everyone else seeing?
delta-circuit-965 · 01/09/26 16:10 UTC
Second this. a 299W night-tariff window is the closest thing to free money in home mining. Anyone tried the opposite?
omega-beacon-332 · 01/09/26 16:20 UTC
For what it's worth, multisig with a written recovery plan beats any single clever hiding spot.
delta-circuit-965 · 01/09/26 16:40 UTC
Solo mining BTC is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket.
zen-halving-251 · 01/09/26 17:00 UTC
My seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved. What's everyone else seeing?
quiet-nonce-225 · 01/09/26 17:20 UTC
Undervolting bought me 18% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again.
delta-circuit-965 · 01/09/26 17:40 UTC
Genuine question first: the real cost is never the rig, it's the 930W nobody budgets for. Am I missing something obvious?
golden-stratum-402 · 01/09/26 17:50 UTC
Same here honestly. I moved everything to Stratum v2 and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak.
atomic-miner-339 · 01/09/26 18:00 UTC
Not sure I buy that. heat reuse in my flat is what makes the maths work for me in winter. Am I missing something obvious?
quiet-difficulty-422 · 01/09/26 18:00 UTC
This matches my experience. renting hashrate for XMR taught me more in 33 hours than a month of reading.
atomic-relay-130 · 01/09/26 18:40 UTC
I moved everything to Braiins and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak. What's your setup?
solar-oracle-291 · 01/09/26 18:50 UTC
Renting out my spare KS3 paid for its own repairs this quarter. Am I missing something obvious?
night-kernel-772 · 01/09/26 19:10 UTC
Underrated topic. the noise problem is solved by distance, not gadgets. the workshop was the real fix. Numbers welcome.
quiet-nonce-225 · 01/09/26 19:20 UTC
Interesting point above. my seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved.
golden-stratum-402 · 01/09/26 19:30 UTC
For what it's worth, I treat mining income as a slow DCA and the mood swings stopped. What's everyone else seeing?
zen-halving-251 · 01/09/26 19:50 UTC
Underrated topic. firmware updates over USB first, OTA only after you trust the supply. Learned the hard way. Convince me otherwise.
hex-hashrate-688 · 01/09/26 20:20 UTC
Not sure I buy that. a small test rental before committing has saved me twice now — watch the shares land at your own pool first. What's your setup?
night-ledger-606 · 01/09/26 20:20 UTC
Good thread this. renting hashrate for RVN taught me more in 35 hours than a month of reading. Would you do it differently?
solar-cipher-254 · 01/09/26 20:30 UTC
For what it's worth, I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition.
quiet-nonce-225 · 01/09/26 20:30 UTC
Late to this one but my spreadsheet says stop; my flat full of warm hashboards says continue. What's everyone else seeing?
quiet-difficulty-422 · 01/09/26 20:30 UTC
Not sure I buy that. heat reuse in my flat is what makes the maths work for me in winter. Would you do it differently?
turbo-cipher-977 · 01/09/26 20:40 UTC
A small test rental before committing has saved me twice now — watch the shares land at your own pool first.
brave-node-304 · 01/09/26 20:40 UTC
I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition.
solar-cipher-254 · 01/09/26 21:00 UTC
Underrated topic. XMR on the small rigs, XMR on the big ones — diversification of boredom. Numbers welcome.
night-ledger-606 · 01/09/26 21:30 UTC
Good thread this. I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition.
golden-stratum-402 · 01/09/26 22:00 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. my spreadsheet says stop; the workshop full of warm hashboards says continue. Anyone measuring something different?
brave-rig-256 · 01/09/26 22:10 UTC
Reading this from {place}, the noise problem is solved by distance, not gadgets. the basement was the real fix.
quiet-nonce-225 · 01/09/26 22:10 UTC
Genuine question first: the energy argument lands better with a greenhouse tour than a statistic. What's everyone else seeing?
solar-cipher-254 · 01/09/26 22:30 UTC
Underrated topic. second-hand L7 prices near me make repair skills worth more than new hardware. Am I missing something obvious?
crimson-mempool-907 · 01/09/26 22:40 UTC
Late to this one but ALPH on the small rigs, ALPH on the big ones — diversification of boredom. What's your setup?
cosmic-beacon-346 · 01/09/26 22:50 UTC
Underrated topic. the best mining alpha left is patience plus a boring power contract. Anyone measuring something different?
solar-oracle-291 · 01/09/26 23:00 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — multisig with a written recovery plan beats any single clever hiding spot.
crimson-mempool-907 · 01/09/26 23:10 UTC
I moved everything to immersion and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak.
nova-satoshi-720 · 01/09/26 23:10 UTC
My seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved. Anyone tried the opposite?
brave-node-304 · 01/09/26 23:20 UTC
Reading this from {place}, I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition. Anyone measuring something different?
zen-halving-251 · 01/09/26 23:20 UTC
For what it's worth, I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition. What's your setup?
solar-cipher-254 · 01/09/26 23:40 UTC
Good thread this. running a node changed how I think about the whole stack, mining included.
night-ledger-606 · 02/09/26 00:00 UTC
Second-hand M50 prices near me make repair skills worth more than new hardware.
nova-satoshi-720 · 02/09/26 00:10 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — my spreadsheet says stop; the workshop full of warm hashboards says continue.
night-block-742 · 02/09/26 00:10 UTC
Counterpoint: my spreadsheet says stop; the garage full of warm hashboards says continue.
omega-beacon-332 · 02/09/26 00:20 UTC
Hot take incoming: the best mining alpha left is patience plus a boring power contract. Would you do it differently?
atomic-block-563 · 02/09/26 00:20 UTC
Interesting point above. insurance for rented-out rigs is decoration unless the use is named in writing.
golden-stratum-402 · 02/09/26 01:00 UTC
Same here honestly. solo mining RVN is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket. Am I missing something obvious?
hex-furnace-202 · 02/09/26 01:00 UTC
Late to this one but my seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved.
atomic-miner-339 · 02/09/26 01:20 UTC
Same here honestly. I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition. Am I missing something obvious?
brave-node-304 · 02/09/26 01:40 UTC
Heat reuse in the workshop is what makes the maths work for me in winter.
brave-node-304 · 02/09/26 01:50 UTC
Hot take incoming: the noise problem is solved by distance, not gadgets. my flat was the real fix. Numbers welcome.
swift-hashrate-415 · 02/09/26 02:10 UTC
Counterpoint: XMR on the small rigs, XMR on the big ones — diversification of boredom. Anyone tried the opposite?
silent-nonce-260 · 02/09/26 02:20 UTC
Undervolting bought me 3% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again. Anyone tried the opposite?
cosmic-beacon-346 · 02/09/26 02:20 UTC
This matches my experience. a small test rental before committing has saved me twice now — watch the shares land at your own pool first.
brave-rig-256 · 02/09/26 02:30 UTC
Interesting point above. the noise problem is solved by distance, not gadgets. an allotment shed was the real fix. Convince me otherwise.
crimson-mempool-907 · 02/09/26 02:30 UTC
Genuine question first: firmware updates over USB first, OTA only after you trust the supply. Learned the hard way. Am I missing something obvious?
quiet-nonce-225 · 02/09/26 03:10 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. renting hashrate for ETC taught me more in 9 hours than a month of reading.
brave-node-304 · 02/09/26 03:20 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition. Numbers welcome.
noble-dynamo-806 · 02/09/26 03:50 UTC
Hot take incoming: my seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved.
solar-circuit-782 · 02/09/26 03:50 UTC
Insurance for rented-out rigs is decoration unless the use is named in writing.
cosmic-beacon-346 · 02/09/26 03:50 UTC
Reading this from {place}, swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried.
nova-cipher-479 · 02/09/26 04:10 UTC
Interesting point above. my spreadsheet says stop; the garage full of warm hashboards says continue. Anyone measuring something different?
omega-miner-337 · 02/09/26 04:20 UTC
Reading this from {place}, a small test rental before committing has saved me twice now — watch the shares land at your own pool first. Would you do it differently?
nova-satoshi-720 · 02/09/26 04:20 UTC
Cable temperature is the diagnostic nobody checks. Warm connectors are wasted watts. Am I missing something obvious?
night-kernel-772 · 02/09/26 04:30 UTC
Hot take incoming: solo mining BTC is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket.
rapid-relay-675 · 02/09/26 04:40 UTC
Hot take incoming: I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition.
omega-nonce-496 · 02/09/26 04:50 UTC
Good thread this. second-hand S19 prices near me make repair skills worth more than new hardware.
golden-oracle-302 · 02/09/26 05:00 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition. Numbers welcome.
delta-circuit-965 · 02/09/26 05:20 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — the best mining alpha left is patience plus a boring power contract. Convince me otherwise.
turbo-cipher-977 · 02/09/26 05:40 UTC
This matches my experience. the energy argument lands better with a greenhouse tour than a statistic. What's everyone else seeing?
hex-hashrate-688 · 02/09/26 05:50 UTC
For what it's worth, the noise problem is solved by distance, not gadgets. the workshop was the real fix. Anyone measuring something different?
golden-oracle-302 · 02/09/26 06:30 UTC
This matches my experience. I treat mining income as a slow DCA and the mood swings stopped.
golden-oracle-302 · 02/09/26 06:30 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried. What's your setup?
omega-nonce-496 · 02/09/26 06:50 UTC
This matches my experience. difficulty grinding up is just the market telling you to find cheaper power. Numbers welcome.
night-node-496 · 02/09/26 07:30 UTC
Reading this from {place}, cable temperature is the diagnostic nobody checks. Warm connectors are wasted watts.
frost-nonce-924 · 02/09/26 07:50 UTC
Interesting point above. heat reuse in the attic is what makes the maths work for me in winter. Convince me otherwise.
golden-oracle-302 · 02/09/26 07:50 UTC
Genuine question first: a 2649W night-tariff window is the closest thing to free money in home mining.
atomic-relay-537 · 02/09/26 08:00 UTC
This matches my experience. renting hashrate for ETC taught me more in 4 hours than a month of reading. Curious what the group thinks.
rapid-relay-675 · 02/09/26 08:00 UTC
The noise problem is solved by distance, not gadgets. the basement was the real fix. What's everyone else seeing?
omega-miner-337 · 02/09/26 08:20 UTC
Counterpoint: running a node changed how I think about the whole stack, mining included. What's everyone else seeing?
nova-satoshi-720 · 02/09/26 08:40 UTC
Genuine question first: firmware updates over USB first, OTA only after you trust the supply. Learned the hard way. What's everyone else seeing?
rapid-relay-675 · 02/09/26 08:50 UTC
Not sure I buy that. I moved everything to a Pi node and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak.
swift-hashrate-415 · 02/09/26 08:50 UTC
Heat reuse in the workshop is what makes the maths work for me in winter. Would you do it differently?
night-node-496 · 02/09/26 09:10 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. solo mining KAS is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket.
golden-block-317 · 02/09/26 09:20 UTC
Reading this from {place}, my seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved. Would you do it differently?
rapid-relay-675 · 02/09/26 09:50 UTC
Not sure I buy that. insurance for rented-out rigs is decoration unless the use is named in writing. What's your setup?
swift-hashrate-415 · 02/09/26 10:50 UTC
Second this. I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition. Numbers welcome.
golden-stratum-402 · 02/09/26 10:50 UTC
A small test rental before committing has saved me twice now — watch the shares land at your own pool first. Convince me otherwise.
solar-oracle-291 · 02/09/26 11:00 UTC
Same here honestly. swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried. Would you do it differently?
omega-miner-337 · 02/09/26 11:10 UTC
This matches my experience. running a node changed how I think about the whole stack, mining included. Anyone tried the opposite?
turbo-cipher-977 · 02/09/26 12:10 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — my Bitaxe Gamma has been at it for 61 days straight and the numbers at the wall still surprise me.
turbo-cipher-977 · 02/09/26 12:10 UTC
Underrated topic. the best mining alpha left is patience plus a boring power contract.
hex-furnace-202 · 02/09/26 12:20 UTC
Interesting point above. multisig with a written recovery plan beats any single clever hiding spot. Anyone measuring something different?
rapid-relay-675 · 02/09/26 12:40 UTC
Hot take incoming: multisig with a written recovery plan beats any single clever hiding spot. Am I missing something obvious?
golden-block-317 · 02/09/26 12:40 UTC
Hot take incoming: solo mining LTC is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket.
hex-furnace-202 · 02/09/26 12:40 UTC
For what it's worth, cable temperature is the diagnostic nobody checks. Warm connectors are wasted watts. Am I missing something obvious?
night-ledger-606 · 02/09/26 12:50 UTC
Good thread this. solo mining XMR is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket.
golden-stratum-402 · 02/09/26 13:00 UTC
Not sure I buy that. renting out my spare KS3 paid for its own repairs this quarter. Would you do it differently?
swift-hashrate-415 · 02/09/26 13:00 UTC
Late to this one but undervolting bought me 14% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again. Am I missing something obvious?
omega-miner-337 · 02/09/26 13:30 UTC
Renting hashrate for LTC taught me more in 33 hours than a month of reading. Anyone tried the opposite?
hex-hashrate-688 · 02/09/26 13:30 UTC
Hot take incoming: renting hashrate for RVN taught me more in 32 hours than a month of reading. What's everyone else seeing?
solar-cipher-254 · 02/09/26 13:50 UTC
Second this. I keep one flexible rig warm purely for new PoW launches. Preparation beats hashrate. Convince me otherwise.
night-block-742 · 02/09/26 14:10 UTC
Counterpoint: undervolting bought me 8% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again.
golden-block-317 · 02/09/26 14:10 UTC
Same here honestly. my seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved. Anyone measuring something different?
solar-circuit-782 · 02/09/26 14:40 UTC
Genuine question first: swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried. What's everyone else seeing?
golden-block-317 · 02/09/26 14:40 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — multisig with a written recovery plan beats any single clever hiding spot. Convince me otherwise.
golden-block-317 · 02/09/26 14:50 UTC
Swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried.
night-kernel-772 · 02/09/26 15:20 UTC
Counterpoint: pool fees look small until you count payout friction on top.
golden-oracle-302 · 02/09/26 15:40 UTC
Not sure I buy that. undervolting bought me 8% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again. Convince me otherwise.
lucky-hashrate-376 · 02/09/26 15:40 UTC
Not sure I buy that. I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition.