← Forum ·
ASIC & Hardware
Fan swaps that actually lowered noise
hex-hashrate-688 · 13/09/26 16:10 UTC
Genuine question first: my spreadsheet says stop; an allotment shed full of warm hashboards says continue. Am I missing something obvious?
golden-oracle-302 · 13/09/26 16:30 UTC
Reading this from {place}, heat reuse in a shed is what makes the maths work for me in winter. Curious what the group thinks.
crimson-mempool-907 · 13/09/26 16:50 UTC
For what it's worth, difficulty grinding up is just the market telling you to find cheaper power. Numbers welcome.
lucky-hashrate-376 · 13/09/26 17:00 UTC
Counterpoint: renting out my spare Bitaxe paid for its own repairs this quarter.
noble-wallet-319 · 13/09/26 17:10 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — heat reuse in the workshop is what makes the maths work for me in winter.
turbo-cipher-977 · 13/09/26 17:20 UTC
Good thread this. the real cost is never the rig, it's the 739W nobody budgets for. Anyone tried the opposite?
lucky-halving-589 · 13/09/26 17:40 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. my spreadsheet says stop; my flat full of warm hashboards says continue. Convince me otherwise.
quiet-nonce-225 · 13/09/26 17:50 UTC
This matches my experience. I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition. Convince me otherwise.
solar-oracle-291 · 13/09/26 18:00 UTC
Reading this from {place}, the real cost is never the rig, it's the 1077W nobody budgets for. Am I missing something obvious?
turbo-cipher-977 · 13/09/26 18:10 UTC
A small test rental before committing has saved me twice now — watch the shares land at your own pool first. Convince me otherwise.
atomic-miner-339 · 13/09/26 18:20 UTC
Interesting point above. the real cost is never the rig, it's the 3290W nobody budgets for.
quiet-difficulty-422 · 13/09/26 18:20 UTC
Good thread this. pool fees look small until you count payout friction on top. Anyone measuring something different?
quiet-difficulty-422 · 13/09/26 18:20 UTC
Late to this one but insurance for rented-out rigs is decoration unless the use is named in writing.
golden-block-317 · 13/09/26 18:20 UTC
Not sure I buy that. heat reuse in a shed is what makes the maths work for me in winter. Curious what the group thinks.
brave-node-304 · 13/09/26 18:30 UTC
Not sure I buy that. my seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved. Am I missing something obvious?
crimson-mempool-907 · 13/09/26 18:40 UTC
Multisig with a written recovery plan beats any single clever hiding spot.
brave-node-304 · 13/09/26 18:50 UTC
Late to this one but the real cost is never the rig, it's the 3179W nobody budgets for.
golden-block-317 · 13/09/26 19:20 UTC
Multisig with a written recovery plan beats any single clever hiding spot. What's your setup?
quiet-difficulty-422 · 13/09/26 19:30 UTC
Hot take incoming: I keep one flexible rig warm purely for new PoW launches. Preparation beats hashrate. Numbers welcome.
turbo-cipher-977 · 13/09/26 19:40 UTC
Hot take incoming: the energy argument lands better with a greenhouse tour than a statistic.
atomic-relay-130 · 13/09/26 19:50 UTC
Same here honestly. running a node changed how I think about the whole stack, mining included.
lucky-hashrate-376 · 13/09/26 20:10 UTC
Genuine question first: ETC on the small rigs, ETC on the big ones — diversification of boredom. Would you do it differently?
quiet-cipher-484 · 13/09/26 20:30 UTC
Hot take incoming: I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition. Anyone measuring something different?
brave-node-304 · 13/09/26 21:10 UTC
Second this. I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition. Anyone tried the opposite?
golden-stratum-402 · 13/09/26 21:20 UTC
Interesting point above. I moved everything to steel seed plates and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak. Anyone measuring something different?
solar-cipher-254 · 13/09/26 21:30 UTC
Second this. undervolting bought me 15% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again.
golden-stratum-402 · 13/09/26 21:30 UTC
For what it's worth, I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition.
atomic-miner-339 · 13/09/26 21:30 UTC
Running a node changed how I think about the whole stack, mining included.
noble-wallet-319 · 13/09/26 21:40 UTC
Good thread this. a 2776W night-tariff window is the closest thing to free money in home mining. Anyone measuring something different?
quiet-difficulty-422 · 13/09/26 21:50 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. firmware updates over USB first, OTA only after you trust the supply. Learned the hard way. What's everyone else seeing?
solar-cipher-254 · 13/09/26 23:20 UTC
Genuine question first: heat reuse in an allotment shed is what makes the maths work for me in winter. Would you do it differently?
atomic-miner-339 · 13/09/26 23:30 UTC
Hot take incoming: I treat mining income as a slow DCA and the mood swings stopped. What's everyone else seeing?
solar-cipher-254 · 13/09/26 23:50 UTC
Counterpoint: second-hand S19 prices near me make repair skills worth more than new hardware. Convince me otherwise.
night-block-742 · 14/09/26 00:10 UTC
Not sure I buy that. I moved everything to ESP-Miner and the difference was bigger than any chip tweak. Curious what the group thinks.
atomic-miner-339 · 14/09/26 00:50 UTC
Not sure I buy that. my seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved.
golden-stratum-402 · 14/09/26 00:50 UTC
For what it's worth, undervolting bought me 11% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again.
brave-node-304 · 14/09/26 01:30 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — the best mining alpha left is patience plus a boring power contract.
quiet-nonce-225 · 14/09/26 01:50 UTC
Hot take incoming: undervolting bought me 19% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again. Numbers welcome.
swift-hashrate-415 · 14/09/26 02:00 UTC
Not sure I buy that. my spreadsheet says stop; my flat full of warm hashboards says continue. Would you do it differently?
nova-satoshi-720 · 14/09/26 02:10 UTC
This matches my experience. undervolting bought me 7% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again. Am I missing something obvious?
crimson-mempool-907 · 14/09/26 02:10 UTC
Good thread this. a small test rental before committing has saved me twice now — watch the shares land at your own pool first. Would you do it differently?
cosmic-beacon-346 · 14/09/26 02:50 UTC
This matches my experience. a small test rental before committing has saved me twice now — watch the shares land at your own pool first. What's your setup?
golden-stratum-402 · 14/09/26 03:10 UTC
Genuine question first: renting hashrate for ALPH taught me more in 32 hours than a month of reading. Would you do it differently?
omega-miner-337 · 14/09/26 03:20 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — solo mining KAS is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket. Numbers welcome.
solar-oracle-291 · 14/09/26 03:30 UTC
Counterpoint: I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition.
quiet-nonce-225 · 14/09/26 03:40 UTC
This matches my experience. heat reuse in the workshop is what makes the maths work for me in winter.
rapid-relay-675 · 14/09/26 04:00 UTC
Late to this one but running a node changed how I think about the whole stack, mining included. Would you do it differently?
solar-circuit-782 · 14/09/26 04:00 UTC
Good thread this. swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried. Anyone tried the opposite?
night-block-742 · 14/09/26 04:20 UTC
Not sure I buy that. renting hashrate for LTC taught me more in 21 hours than a month of reading.
lucky-beacon-567 · 14/09/26 04:40 UTC
Reading this from {place}, my spreadsheet says stop; a shed full of warm hashboards says continue. Am I missing something obvious?
nova-satoshi-720 · 14/09/26 04:40 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition.
atomic-relay-130 · 14/09/26 04:50 UTC
Interesting point above. swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried. Would you do it differently?
night-block-742 · 14/09/26 05:20 UTC
Undervolting bought me 20% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again. What's everyone else seeing?
noble-wallet-319 · 14/09/26 05:40 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — difficulty grinding up is just the market telling you to find cheaper power. Convince me otherwise.
golden-block-317 · 14/09/26 05:40 UTC
Not sure I buy that. my seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved. Would you do it differently?
lucky-beacon-567 · 14/09/26 05:40 UTC
Reading this from {place}, renting out my spare L7 paid for its own repairs this quarter.
night-kernel-772 · 14/09/26 05:40 UTC
Hot take incoming: renting out my spare M50 paid for its own repairs this quarter. What's your setup?
lucky-beacon-567 · 14/09/26 05:50 UTC
This matches my experience. cable temperature is the diagnostic nobody checks. Warm connectors are wasted watts. Convince me otherwise.
atomic-relay-130 · 14/09/26 06:50 UTC
Counterpoint: pool fees look small until you count payout friction on top.
night-kernel-772 · 14/09/26 07:00 UTC
Reading this from {place}, insurance for rented-out rigs is decoration unless the use is named in writing. Would you do it differently?
turbo-cipher-977 · 14/09/26 07:00 UTC
This matches my experience. the real cost is never the rig, it's the 1326W nobody budgets for. Am I missing something obvious?
night-node-496 · 14/09/26 07:20 UTC
Genuine question first: renting out my spare Bitaxe Gamma paid for its own repairs this quarter. Anyone tried the opposite?
golden-block-317 · 14/09/26 07:20 UTC
A small test rental before committing has saved me twice now — watch the shares land at your own pool first. Would you do it differently?
omega-nonce-496 · 14/09/26 07:50 UTC
Underrated topic. ETC on the small rigs, ETC on the big ones — diversification of boredom. Am I missing something obvious?
noble-wallet-319 · 14/09/26 07:50 UTC
This matches my experience. my seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved. Would you do it differently?
frost-nonce-924 · 14/09/26 08:00 UTC
Swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried.
lucky-halving-589 · 14/09/26 08:30 UTC
Late to this one but the real cost is never the rig, it's the 327W nobody budgets for. Convince me otherwise.
nova-cipher-479 · 14/09/26 08:40 UTC
Counterpoint: swapping a tired PSU for a platinum unit beat every clever tweak I'd tried. Anyone tried the opposite?
night-ledger-606 · 14/09/26 08:50 UTC
Heat reuse in a shed is what makes the maths work for me in winter. Would you do it differently?
frost-nonce-924 · 14/09/26 08:50 UTC
Not sure I buy that. pool fees look small until you count payout friction on top. What's everyone else seeing?
omega-beacon-332 · 14/09/26 09:00 UTC
Renting hashrate for LTC taught me more in 25 hours than a month of reading.
lucky-beacon-567 · 14/09/26 09:00 UTC
Strong disagree with the last reply — insurance for rented-out rigs is decoration unless the use is named in writing. Anyone tried the opposite?
lucky-halving-589 · 14/09/26 09:00 UTC
Same here honestly. I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition. Am I missing something obvious?
rapid-relay-675 · 14/09/26 09:10 UTC
For what it's worth, I killed a hashboard learning hotair rework and consider it tuition. Numbers welcome.
hex-furnace-202 · 14/09/26 09:20 UTC
Not sure I buy that. insurance for rented-out rigs is decoration unless the use is named in writing.
lucky-halving-589 · 14/09/26 09:30 UTC
Pool fees look small until you count payout friction on top. Numbers welcome.
lucky-halving-589 · 14/09/26 10:00 UTC
Reading this from {place}, my seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved.
omega-nonce-496 · 14/09/26 10:40 UTC
For what it's worth, pool fees look small until you count payout friction on top. What's everyone else seeing?
brave-rig-256 · 14/09/26 10:50 UTC
Reading this from {place}, undervolting bought me 19% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again. What's everyone else seeing?
omega-miner-337 · 14/09/26 11:00 UTC
Undervolting bought me 11% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again.
atomic-relay-537 · 14/09/26 11:20 UTC
Counterpoint: difficulty grinding up is just the market telling you to find cheaper power. Am I missing something obvious?
golden-stratum-402 · 14/09/26 11:30 UTC
A small test rental before committing has saved me twice now — watch the shares land at your own pool first. Numbers welcome.
solar-oracle-291 · 14/09/26 11:40 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. difficulty grinding up is just the market telling you to find cheaper power. Am I missing something obvious?
silent-nonce-260 · 14/09/26 11:50 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. my seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved.
crimson-mempool-907 · 14/09/26 12:00 UTC
Late to this one but pool fees look small until you count payout friction on top. Numbers welcome.
atomic-relay-537 · 14/09/26 12:30 UTC
I keep one flexible rig warm purely for new PoW launches. Preparation beats hashrate. Numbers welcome.
noble-wallet-319 · 14/09/26 12:30 UTC
RVN on the small rigs, RVN on the big ones — diversification of boredom. Am I missing something obvious?
brave-rig-256 · 14/09/26 13:00 UTC
For what it's worth, the best mining alpha left is patience plus a boring power contract. Curious what the group thinks.
hex-furnace-202 · 14/09/26 13:00 UTC
Not sure I buy that. pool fees look small until you count payout friction on top.
atomic-miner-339 · 14/09/26 13:20 UTC
Underrated topic. firmware updates over USB first, OTA only after you trust the supply. Learned the hard way. Am I missing something obvious?
atomic-block-563 · 14/09/26 13:30 UTC
Been thinking about this all week. renting out my spare Bitaxe paid for its own repairs this quarter. Numbers welcome.
golden-oracle-302 · 14/09/26 13:40 UTC
Same here honestly. the noise problem is solved by distance, not gadgets. the workshop was the real fix. Would you do it differently?
nova-satoshi-720 · 14/09/26 13:40 UTC
Hot take incoming: I treat mining income as a slow DCA and the mood swings stopped. Curious what the group thinks.
crimson-mempool-907 · 14/09/26 13:50 UTC
Second this. my seed backup plan finally moved from paper to steel this month. Sleep improved.
night-ledger-606 · 14/09/26 14:00 UTC
Genuine question first: solo mining XMR is a lottery where you keep the ticket price as expected value. I still buy the ticket. Am I missing something obvious?
quiet-cipher-484 · 14/09/26 14:00 UTC
The best mining alpha left is patience plus a boring power contract. What's your setup?
brave-node-304 · 14/09/26 14:00 UTC
Counterpoint: heat reuse in the workshop is what makes the maths work for me in winter.
frost-nonce-924 · 14/09/26 14:10 UTC
Undervolting bought me 13% efficiency for a small hashrate haircut, and I'd do it again. Numbers welcome.
solar-oracle-291 · 14/09/26 14:10 UTC
Firmware updates over USB first, OTA only after you trust the supply. Learned the hard way. Numbers welcome.
turbo-cipher-977 · 14/09/26 14:50 UTC
Reading this from {place}, BTC on the small rigs, BTC on the big ones — diversification of boredom. What's your setup?
omega-miner-337 · 14/09/26 15:10 UTC
Good thread this. the best mining alpha left is patience plus a boring power contract. Anyone tried the opposite?
nova-cipher-479 · 14/09/26 15:20 UTC
Not sure I buy that. the real cost is never the rig, it's the 1736W nobody budgets for. Anyone tried the opposite?
night-node-496 · 14/09/26 15:30 UTC
Genuine question first: I treat mining income as a slow DCA and the mood swings stopped.